Encouraging Gifts of Securities
Recent IRS reports have indicated that much of the post-recession recovery in giving has come in the form of appreciated securities donated by higher income individuals. According to the IRS, the average gift of appreciated securities is in the $55,000 to $65,000 range. Additionally, gifts of appreciated securities are attractive because they avoid taxation on the appreciation element and may be deducted at the current value if held longer than a year.
SHARPE newkirk offers several tools to help you show donors the benefits of making charitable gifts through appreciated securities and how to structure these gifts:
- Educational donor publications can be used in mailings, at special events or on donor visits. These publications include the brochure Questions & Answers About Giving Securities and booklets such as Giving Securities and Your Guide to Effective Giving After Tax Reform.
- SHARPE newkirk’s Gift Planning Newsletters and Gift Planning Websites feature tailored articles as shifts occur in tax laws.
You can learn more by attending one of our Gift Planning Seminars, each of which includes practical guidelines for donors when giving securities. Our 2019 offerings are “An Introduction to Planned Giving,” “Structuring Blended Gifts,” and “Integrating Major and Planned Gifts.”
In addition, Give & Take often publishes articles about stock gifts, such as these:
- “Are You Getting Your Share(s)” (April 2018)
- “When Giving Away a Favorite Stock Is the Smartest Thing to Do” (July 2017)
- “‘Prime Time’ for Gifts of Securities?” (June 2017)
- “Gifts of Securities: How to Motivate Donors to Make These Gifts” (September 2016)
“In the Market for Gifts of Stock” (September 2016)
The most effective communications plan starts with identifying your target audience. SHARPE newkirk’s Donor Data Enhancement Services can help you plan the most cost-efficient mailing strategy by identifying donors, based on age and wealth, who are most likely to give appreciated securities.
*Ask about an online interactive stock calculator (see bottom illustration on image on the right) for analysis of personal and confidential tax benefits with the purchase of Giving Securities.