Bequests Lead the Way in Growth for Charitable GIving
Posted August 1st, 2014

Bequests Lead the Way in Growth as Charitable Giving Nears Record Levels

bequest chartAfter peaking in 2007 at $349.5 billion (adjusted for inflation), charitable giving in America experienced a sharp decline in 2008 and 2009 during the Great Recession and financial crisis. Since then, a gradual recovery in giving has been underway. The recently released Giving USA 2014 report reveals that the giving recovery continued in 2013, with gifts from individuals, estates, corporations and foundations totaling $335 billion, a gain of 4.4 percent over 2012.

Gifts from individuals and bequests accounted for 80 percent of the total, while foundations and corporations provided the remaining 20 percent. In fact, gifts from individuals totaled $240.6 billion, up $9.69 billion from 2012.

Gifts from living individuals rose 4.2 percent, while charitable bequests increased by 8.7 percent. Taxpayers who itemized charitable gifts reported $199.2 billion, and non-itemized giving was estimated at $41.2 billion in 2013. An estimated $21.2 billion came from bequest giving from estates of $1 million and above, and another $6.6 billion in bequests came from estates below $1 million. Giving by foundations increased 5.7 percent, while corporate contributions (other than foundations) slipped slightly by 1.9 percent.

The 2013 estimates for overall giving in America indicate the general trend in recovery is continuing. If giving levels keep increasing at the rate seen in the previous two years, charitable giving could actually exceed pre-recession levels this year or next.

For more information on current trends in giving by donor source or recipient sector, visit


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The publisher of Sharpe Insights is not engaged in rendering legal or tax advisory service. For advice and assistance in specific cases, the services of your own counsel should be obtained. Articles in Sharpe Insights may generally be reprinted for distribution to board members and staff of nonprofit institutions and other non-donor groups. Proper credit must be given. Call for details.

Sharpe Insights

Site Search

Sharpe Insights Archives

2024 Issues 2023 Issues 2022 Issues 2021 Issues 2020 Issues 2019 Issues 2018 Issues 2017 Issues 2016 Issues 2015 Issues 2014 Issues 2013 Issues 2012 Issues 2011 Issues 2010 Issues 2009 Issues 2008 Issues 2007 Issues 2006 Issues 2005 Issues 2004 Issues 2003 Issues 2002 Issues 2001 Issues 2000 Issues 1999 Issues 1998 Issues 1997 Issues