You Can Book It! Latest Survey Shows Rebound in Giving | Sharpe Group
Posted July 1st, 2015

You Can Book It! Latest Survey Shows Rebound in Giving

The Voluntary Support of Education (VSE) 2014 Report is now available. This year’s report provides an in-depth look at giving to education in America.

As has been previously reported, charitable contributions to colleges and universities increased 10.8 percent over 2013. This is the best single-year gain since 2000, and the $37.5 billion total is the highest recorded since the CAE/VSE survey’s inception in 1957.

Individual giving led the way, followed by foundations, many of which were initially created by charitable bequests from individuals. Corporations and other organizations rounded out the giving totals.

The average number of realized bequests of 452 responding institutions was 20, and new bequest intentions averaged 25. The average value of the realized bequests was $3.25 million per reporting institution.

The significance of larger bequests was also evident. The three largest bequests from each institution represented almost 12 percent of all individual/personal giving and just over 60 percent of all bequest dollars, leaving the remaining 40 percent to be divided from all of the rest of the smaller estates. Further research would probably discover the 80/20 or 90/10 rule at work.

The report also studied the impact of the economy, recessions, the stock market and gross domestic product on voluntary support of education. As one might expect, an expanding economy, increasing stock market valuations and GDP growth have a positive impact on giving.

Charitable gifts of securities continued to rebound after the Great Recession and financial crisis, increasing from $2.24 billion in 2013 to $2.35 billion in 2014. The average contribution in the form of securities to higher education that year was $53,646.

All in all, the latest VSE survey bodes well for philanthropy in America for 2015. You can purchase the complete report by clicking here. ■

See also: Giving USA’s recent report on rebound in overall giving.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The publisher of Sharpe Insights is not engaged in rendering legal or tax advisory service. For advice and assistance in specific cases, the services of your own counsel should be obtained. Articles in Sharpe Insights may generally be reprinted for distribution to board members and staff of nonprofit institutions and other non-donor groups. Proper credit must be given. Call for details.

Sharpe Insights

Site Search

Sharpe Insights Archives

2024 Issues 2023 Issues 2022 Issues 2021 Issues 2020 Issues 2019 Issues 2018 Issues 2017 Issues 2016 Issues 2015 Issues 2014 Issues 2013 Issues 2012 Issues 2011 Issues 2010 Issues 2009 Issues 2008 Issues 2007 Issues 2006 Issues 2005 Issues 2004 Issues 2003 Issues 2002 Issues 2001 Issues 2000 Issues 1999 Issues 1998 Issues 1997 Issues